Friday, March 12, 2010

3 months post op





Well it's really 3 months and 2 days post op. Felling pretty darn good these days. I can eat pretty much whatever I want now. Most of the swelling is down. I still have some around my nose which makes my nose look a little crooked when I smile. I have almost all the feeling back in my lips both upper and lower. The lower left is still not normal sensations but I have feeling and everyday its better and better. I will be getting my braces off in about 6-8 weeks....so so so happy about that. I don't have to see my surgeon now until September unless there is a a problem but I don't foresee anything going wrong at this point. I have pretty good range of motion at 39 mm. I am currently losing A LOT of hair. Apparently fairly common after undergoing major surgery and then extreme weight loss. Frightening to see so much hair in the shower drain when you don't have a ton to spare in the first place. I just wish it would stop already. Just when I think it is tapering off I have a day where I lose a bunch. I suppose it has to stop at some point. I am taking some supplements to hopefully slow it down until my body decides it has shed enough. Other than my current hair loss I have no complaints. I am very happy with my bite and how good my teeth look. I can honestly say it was worth it. Amen!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Jen.

    I am working on insurance issues in hopes of having this surgery (minus the genio). My question is: how long till I am able to manage my kids? They will be 7 and 10 most likely... I have yet to start orthodontics. So how long till I am able to get them up for school, pick up from school, do a little grocery shopping... you know, mom stuff. The surgeon told me about two weeks. I want a real patients outlook on it!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,

    Sorry for the late response! I would say 2-3 weeks realistically. I had lost a lot of blood during surgery and I was pretty weak for several weeks, but I could do school pick and some other small stuff around 2-3 weeks. Getting them out to school would have been a problem those first couple of weeks because I wasnt sleeping well at night at got my most sleep between 4am-10am. The first 10 days I had my aunt, uncle, mom, and husband here. Now my husband was working and I have 3 little ones that dont go to school yet and 3 teenagers.....so I needed an army here for sure. Let me know if I can answer anything else for you :) Good luck with the insurance stuff, I can honestly say now that I am 3 months post op that it has been a life altering experience....for the better.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you say you can eat almost anything you want, does that include biting into stuff like sandwiches?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I can bite into a sandwich, eat a hamburger, etc. I still have a hard time with spaghetti.......wierd huh? I still have some numbness on my upper games and palate that is slow to go away and I think I have a hard time feeling where the noodles are. I have choked on it on more than one occasion. I have laid off of it until I get some more feeling back. Other than that I eat really anything....tonight I had steak. I hope that helps ! :)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete