Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Day 13....De-splinting!!!!







So today was my big splint removal. It was mostly painless, a few twinges on one side when they were getting it unwired from my upper jaw but other than that it was fine. They popped the monstrosity out and she sat me up and handed me a mirror to check out my new bite. I seriously almost cried when I saw it, it is beautiful. All of my front teeth come together perfectly. For the first time since I can remember my teeth touch in the front! I got to clean my mouth as I best as I could after they got it off. I actually got a little woozy while I was cleaning my mouth afterward. Not entirely sure why. Maybe I was a little scared having my mouth "unsecured", I don't know but I had to sit down. I could only open my mouth just a little bit and it was weird. My mouth and lips felt and feel like they aren't mine still. I still have a lot of swelling around my mouth, chin, and nose. The swelling is much more visible now that the splint is out. I'm still having a small problem with drooling I would say about 5-10% of what it was...not bad for having the splint out for 8 hours. I think the remaining 5-10% is because A)both of my lips are still pretty numb, and B) I am now banded shut, though without the splint. I will be banded shut until next Wednesday when I go in and they take out my stitches and then she will give me a schedule to follow where I start to wear the bands less and less and practice using my new bite more and more. I am very happy with where my smile line is and now am just anxious for some feeling back in my lips.

I don't have any profile picture from today but the one's up there are from right after I got the splint out and then after I got home from getting my hair cut.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment